Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Natal, Brasil....Sand Dune Paradise

Natal was a dope spot. It had night life, it had beach life, it had city life. I could tell this is where lots of Brasilians come for their vacation. Some key moments that happen to us. We finally found the legendary ACAI SUPER BOMBA. Now to this point, we had been eating a lot of ACAI, the food or fruit or something that Opera just recommended for her food of the year. Its rare and expensive in the states, but its everywhere in Brasil. The food is grown from the Amazon and its suppose to give natural energy. A friend I met, Elena, from Manchester United had told me I must try the SUPER BOMBA. And I did. GLORIOUS!!!

We also found our German friend Ulf. This guy is adventurous. Someone you look at and say, damn, I shoulda been like this when I was a little younger. He's been using couchsurfing and hospitalityclub to stay at places throughout Brasil. Its websites where people offer a couch or a room for free. Its like a backpackers community of trust and openmindedness to meet new people and invite them to stay in your city for cheap with the local experience. Pretty cool huh!

Natal became a highlight of the trip instantly. I had seen pics online of the sand dunes in this area of Brasil but this was our chance to experience it first hand. We rushed through Recife just so we could make sure we had enough time to go on the buggy tour. The buggy tour consist of us renting a driver and his buggy car and for him to drive as crazy as possible through the sand dunes, while we hold on for dear life and scream and yell all day. No jumps involved, but definitely the scariest drops and face driving EVER! I remember there was one drop Black Tyson (our driver's nickname), almost a 90 degree face of the sand coming down, where he accelerated all the way down. He was doing donuts everywhere and climbing up sand walls only to drive right back down. They were the type of thrilling rides where you wonder, how on earth came someone stay inside the buggy while you do this. I guess it added to the excited. One moment that stood out was a drop where you couldn't see the other side. It caught us all by surprise. So much that, the other couple that we were on the tour with, finally came out of their shell, and started to yell and swear at the top of our lungs with us. It was the funniest moment of the day because the old guy we were with didn't say a word until that drop. I don't know what he said in Portuguese but I'm sure it was a bunch of words starting with F and S and probably I'll Kill YOu Tyson!

We also met some Brasilians from Sao Paulo on the trip that were very friendly. I swear, when you meet people who are also on vacation, you can have nothing but good times. After Black Tyson hooked it up, we hung out with them in our final hours in Natal. The lack of portuguese and spanish proved to make the conversation even more interesting. It was like playing that game Sharades (is that how you spell it). 2 words, sounds like, shaped like, sound effects. Crazy. They either thought I was weird or just pure entertainment. They asked us to look them up when we get to Sao Paulo. Hopefully there will be time.


Pics of the SUPER BOMBA. NATURAL BABY!!!



Here's our friend Ulf. We found all-u-can eat fish for dinner. NICE!


Sand Dunes and Buggy



New friends from Sao Paulo

No comments: